Rumors are emerging about the upcoming NBA season. Here’s an updated list on all the possibilities for the 2020-21 season.
- The NBA could have an accelerated free agency immediately after the draft takes place on November 18th.
- The start date is aiming to begin the 2020/21 season prior to Christmas Day with the target date of December 22.
- The league is proposing a 72 game, shortened from a normal 82 games.
- The plan would allow for players to participate in the 2021 Tokyo Olympics in July and August.
- The NBA would be back on track to resume its usual October-to-June schedule for the following 2021/22 season.
- League office officials projected a $500M revenue value in NBA resumption transpiring a few days before Christmas instead of a later 2021 date.
- Although fans may not be permitted in arenas by December, the NBA heavily prefers to avoid another single-site bubble.
- The league is discussing travel and game schedules that would keep teams in certain marketplaces for longer than normal, similar to regular season series consecutive games played in the MLB.
- The NBA is also hoping to once again implement a play-in tournament prior to the postseason.
- Eliminating All-Star Weekend in 2021 and implementing a two-week break halfway through the season is being discussed.
- All of these details must be approved by the National Basketball Players Association before they become official.
- The league has vowed to give players approximately eight weeks notice before the start of the 2020/21 season, which means the goal would be to wrap up negotiations between the league office and NBPA sometime next week.
1 reply »